Monday, September 21, 2009

I'm too lazy for titles today...

I am unsure what to say. I am writing out of a feeling of obligation. I am also writing because I feel a little overwhelmed. I feel scattered. Perhaps that is only because it is Monday, and I always feel scattered on Monday.

At any rate, I survived my (possible) bout of swine flu. I even turned the harrowing experience into a stunning op-ed piece for the student newspaper. (Stunning may be an exaggeration, but it was a pretty neat little piece of writing, if I may say so myself.)

A few days ago I was planning to write an inspiring blog entry about working with clay and how connected throwing made me feel; connected to the clay, connected to myself. Now I would like to write about how fickle clay is. It could easily be my own lack of skill, but some days are good and some days are bad. Some days, everything falls into place and I make something beautiful. Other days (like this morning) I can't even center the clay no matter how hard I try. This bouncing back and forth is very trying for me. Just when I think I'm starting to get it, I fall back to utter incompetence.

Such is ceramics, I suppose.

I do love writing for the paper, as stressful as it can be. I would do it again. I am even more convinced that I would enjoy writing columns for a living. If only such jobs were more plentiful.

Still no word on my London application. In an act of faith, I am going to apply for my passport as soon as possible anyway.

I think that I am very lucky to the people I have. I don't exactly know how it happened, but I have some really good friends. Also, I have an amazing boyfriend. Usually I don't wax on about him here (well, I try not to) but after sticking it out with me for a year and a half, I think he deserves it.

I can't stop rambling. My head hurts. My nap earlier was entirely ineffective. Tomorrow I have to give a speech for which I am unprepared. Eh.

The pace of things excites me and exhausts me. I don't know if I like it or hate it.

This post has devolved enough. I think I will cut things off now and write some more when I am feeling more lucid and less sleepy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone should have a passport....just in case. I like the option of "...just in case". Rent the movie Breaking Away. It is my favorite passport movie. It is a nice way to look at possibilities.

Chicago Ant - always has passport handy.

Anonymous said...

clay
ceramics lab
late hours
struggle
pulling cylinders...
12 cylinders due...

pulling cups
hours on end...midnight...12 cups due...
pitchers...12 pitchers due...
lidded jars...all due tomorrow!!!!

success
I still have two pieces that have survive almost forty years and lots of moves ...
I still see them as a sign of victory over wobbling lumps of earth...
my lidded jar...my square bowl..they are so beautiful to this day..(well to me)
keep at it...

Aunt Deeda

Bruce Johnson said...

I am just bracing myself for when I get the swine flu.....they are nto supposed to have the shots available here until December.....like that is going to do me a lot of good.