Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Taken for Granted

In my last post I wrote about anxiety coming in waves ... whoo boy, that hasn't changed. It feels even more extreme this week. I go from feeling calm and okay to completely freaked out. I have no time, or not enough time. This week has already been trying already. I still have an eight page paper, a presentation, and a photo shoot to complete over the weekend. Oh, and editing and the GRE on Saturday. It's also a significant weekend for a friend, and I can't just check out on that either. And then there is the significant other who needs time too.

I can't sleep at night. I want to be done with all this, done with the pain and anxiety. I want to feel reassured and confident. I also want to become a hermit, to ignore everything for just as long as it takes to get these assignments done. But the idea of isolating myself entirely is upsetting in its own way too. I told myself this semester would be different. One good thing I can say is that I've become much, much better at still functioning even when I'm freaked out and unsettled and anxious (about school, about relationships, or anything else).

I can't help but feel that every aspect of my life that I've taken for granted over the past few years is getting shaken up and moved around, and I keep banging my knees into the furniture because it's not where it was, and I still don't know where everything is going to land in the end. I mean, I think I know what I want. I think I can get there. But the in-between is so very difficult.

Perhaps this is just what happens during transition times like these. Things change. Things surface. Things become uncertain. There is at least a little grain of excitement there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog, I am thinking of how it feels on a roller coaster when it is going up and down, through a tunnel, and I am being all bounced and trounced and even my teeth are rattling about. And then suddenly I am coming down the steep hill....and the coaster slows and I catch my breath and it is over. Darn if I don't get back in line.
You are on quite a ride, hang tight, let go, put your hands up in the air, scream, laugh, be scared. Know you will love it in the long run and will probably get in line again.
xxxooo
Chicago Ant, who loves Cedar Point.

Anonymous said...

I know it seems crazy right now. But, you are coping way better than you think you are. "Do not believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you" courage wolf

Anonymous said...

Ivy,
I love that you can let it all hang out and write down what you are feeling. How many people walk around all bottled up with these feelings and don't take time to sort them out or even acknowledge them. Somehow it all just works out...falls into place...
It sounds like you have accomplished an awful lot this semester and will have a well deserved break....
Huzzah!

Aunt Deeda