Friday, May 27, 2011

The smell of roast chicken

Last week was difficult. Last week featured a fifteen minute crying jag, as I sat in the Food Lion parking lot. I was on the phone with my father wailing about how I would never, ever learn how to drive my car (a stick shift) and that my bank account was dwindling rapidly.

This week has been better. My mother was right when she told me things would get better. I've got a few job interviews lined up. The car, while still terrifying, is not as challenging as before. My living room is suffused with a lovely, golden glow because the sun is shining right through the rain. The air is cool and the house smells of roasting chicken and potatoes. My fiance just pulled in. I even discovered that I can temporarily remove the obnoxious, highly sensitive smoke alarm to my bedroom so that it doesn't go off every time I try to cook something.

Life is good.

2 comments:

Casi said...

You're a braver woman than I am Gungadeen (or however you spell that...) Anyway, there's no way you could get me to drive a stick shift. Good luck in learning how to do so.

I'm glad things are looking up for you.

Cynthia said...

I'll be a patient & cheerful coach, if you need. I love straight-drive cars & analog clocks ... machines that are both simply and complex, that take some learning but then once you learn them just feel like extensions of you.

xx cn