Monday, April 28, 2008

the air in utterable coolness

It feels as if my existence has been consumed by school. It is the thought that hovers over all other thoughts, the deadlines coursing through brain in a constant stream.

"I had nightmares about missing exams for years after I graduated college," my mother tells me.

I sigh, and moan, and return to my desk.

And yet life goes on.
The grass grows, the sun shines, the birds sing. There is a family of foxes living in the woodpile behind our house. My sweetheart calls almost every day. Today it is raining, but it is not the cold, dreary rain of winter. No, it is warm, spring rain. It pounds out of the sky, creating rivers in the red clay. It drips off the trees, makes the road glisten and the grass shine. It releases those strange, dark, earthy aromas from the ground and they wind up into my brain...
Summer broods on the horizon, sweetly beckoning. Soon enough it will be here. Right now there is nothing I want more than to just let go. But I am going to hold on a little longer, just a little longer now.

Poetry, which for so long I did not fully appreciate, now soothes my tired brain. e.e. cummings has lately captured my heart:

        i have found what you are like
the rain,

(Who feathers frightened fields
with the superior dust-of-sleep. wields

easily the pale club of the wind
and swirled justly souls of flower strike

the air in utterable coolness

deeds of green thrilling light
with thinned

newfragile yellows

lurch and.press

-in the woods
which
stutter
and

sing

And the coolness of your smile is
stirringofbirds between my arms;but
i should rather than anything
have(almost when hugeness will shut
quietly)almost,
your kiss

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So lovely to hear that your rain is soft, that your sweetheart calls, and poetry lines your days....it sounds a bit like an Irish blessing!

The rain here in Chicago is cold and dreary, but it will change. Those dreams of missed deadlines will continue for a while, but will change also - been there, just like your mom. I think most of adults remember those crazy dreams....

I have been lining my days with poetry with a little help from a couple of websites that send me a poem a day...it is a glorious advantage to the internet.

sub_knopfpoetry@info.randomhouse.com.

this is one of the websites and you will receive one treat a day! It is delightful.

I will take my self back to the kitchen and finish cooking up delicious middle eastern style lamb stew with sweet potatoes, cinnamon, raisins, onions and garlic - it will absolutely counteract the sleet, rain, and 36 degrees outside. The tulips and daffodils are being brave and so shall I!

Happy Poetry Month....Chicago Ant.

Bruce Johnson said...

spring is definately in the air where you are concerned. It is already 100 degrees here in the Southwest.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous. simply gorgeous.....it is a blessing to curl up here, on a rainy day here, too, now, and to read your words. for your info, i like your words as much i like my beloved ee's.....how's that, sweetheart??