Thursday, September 11, 2008

Rainstorms Revisited

I thought that I was finished with that last topic: rainstorms. I had covered it, learned from it, moved on. Now I find myself revisiting those storms, perhaps even more painfully this time.

The view from my window is clouded. The winding brick walkways are dark, shiny and wet. The trees hover mournfully under the damp sky. I want to go to bed, I want to go home, I want to feel back in control. The past few days I have been careening this way and that, making mistakes, falling behind, breaking down. The downpour has seeped its way into my life, the floodgates crashing open leaving me floundering under the pressure. There is so much to do, so many things to remember. And that's just classes. The there are the people; people everywhere, always doing something, wanting something, telling you something. It is hard to separate yourself from all those people. It's even harder to let go of the "shoulds." My mother, my reliable source of practical wisdom, pointed out that I have too many "shoulds." I know she is right. Yet, being me, I turn that into another should.

I have the vague idea that I am in the middle of one giant, painful learning curve. I also have the vague idea that this is good for me. I just want to feel less crazy. That's all.

I have no neat conclusions today. No good note to wrap up with. Today, however, I received a long hug from a complete stranger. It actually made me feel a little better. I think we should have more hugs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...sending you a virtual hug
(((((Ivy)))))
and a "water thought":
Lake Michigan has rip tides along our beach. A riptide comes in to shore pulls or sucks the sand out from under your feet and pulls you out into the lake and sometimes you drown.
Wisdom dictates not swim into the riptide, not to try to swim away from the riptide, but to be calm and swim parallel to the riptide... the water will deliver you safely to shore.
Life has rip tides too...don't swim into them, don't swim away from them....swim parallel - and take time to float on your back once in awhile too - you will be delivered safely to shore.
Another hug: (((((Ivy)))))
love you
Chicago Ant

Bruce Johnson said...

"that I am in the middle of one giant, painful learning curve...", you don't know how right you are on this account.

I have been having this 'argument' with my wife about her not haveing a college education, teasing is more like it. I have to keep reminding her that you don't really get an educatin in college, you simply prove to the rest of the world that you can chose to take the hard route and complete the task. Most of what I learned in college I never use in real life. But the experiences that I went through in college to get the degree have molded who I am and taught me things about myself I could never have learned othewise. Hang in their. Later in life, you will look back on rainy days quite fondly, trust me.