Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thoughts On Rainstorms

I do know where rain comes from. I understand the the two-day downpour we were subjected to started perhaps with mere changes of temperatures out on the ocean, a clash of winds that end up spinning themselves together and moving across the water and towards land according to the sheer whim of mother nature. There was no intent behind the rain, it was totally indifferent to where it was dumped. All the same, it is hard sometimes not to feel that God must be trying to wipe us all out again, no matter what promises were made. it rained and it rained so much I could hardly believe it. It felt endless and damp, very damp, no matter where you went.
And yet, rain always clears eventually. Storm clouds cannot linger indefinitely. We were graced once again by the return of the sun this afternoon, and the blanket of humidity has rolled back over us. I like rain, but the most reassuring part of a rainstorm is when it finally clears.

I believe that this applies to both physical and metaphorical storms. I strikes me how sometimes both of them intersect, for today I feel as if more than one kind of cloud has been blown away. It is so very reassuring, particularly because the good weather never lasts. So, it is good to know that the bad weather never lasts either. It is very easy to get overwhelmed, and the words "responsibility," and "time management," and "homework" keep swimming 'round my head. There are plenty of things to pull you in so many different directions here, which is perhaps the difficulty of this much freedom and opportunity. One has to keep in mind that sleeping and eating are necessary to keep functioning. Balance is a very precious thing that I am chasing down, trying to stay sane... I want to make the most of this, not to let time slip away between the lists, and the meetings, and assignments. I want to know people, to sit around on the grass, learn how to play guitar, and write, write, write, not for any assignment but because I want to. It is a delicate balancing act, but I have always been afraid of falling off the tightrope wire. Sometimes I wonder if it would be as bad as I fear...

I am listening to the Shins for the first time in months and it is bringing up such visceral memories of last year. The memories, (vivid snippets of the places I used to go, the people I used to see, the way I used to feel) are so strong it makes me regard with wonder how I got from there to here. The past still seems so present and near, how can I have moved along so quickly? How can things be so different than they were? I think that I am also realizing in what ways I am different, and the same, and how much growing up I still have left to do.

However philosophical and reminiscent I get, though, things still happen one day at a time. One day at a time.

4 comments:

greer said...

One day at a time. One step at a time, no matter how small, we learn to live life fully. Enjoy the adventure :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better. You feel so near to me as well. I pull in the driveway and see your car. I think oh Ivy is home! But then I remember how much things have changed. You are my beloved girl. Take care of yourself. Lighten up!
Everything is OK.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Love your mom...and sometimes it is just even one hour at a time.

Chicago Ant

Anonymous said...

dear iv, i sighed when i clicked this open and there you are writing about too much rain, and yesterday i wrote about not enough......then i read on and on, and feel for you--so much for you--as you struggle to find that elusive place called balance. i am three times as old as you, right, and i still spend most every day seeking, sometimes finding.......always always seeking. over all these years i have learned that saying no is my best friend on the long road to calm and inner quiet. my inclination was always to say yes yes, so i don't worry, not too much, that i'll turn into a hermit (though that sounds delicious most days) but rather a more human human. one who knows the limits of her yeses and her noes. how's that for wacky spelling. bless you. your rain came to my gardens today, so thank you. your mama's comment made me cry. i can only imagine. i hate when someone i love is far away. it feels like the whole world is out of kilter....