Sunday, February 14, 2010

Spotted Dick Pudding


Dun-Dun! Spotted Dick Pudding in a can! It's basically a cake/bread like substance, in a can, that you boil. You boil the can in water. Very strange. You're supposed to put custard on top, but I forgot that part. It has raisins, hence the "spotted." Still not sure why it's called "dick" pudding, except that maybe God wanted me to giggle a little while I was here.


Yum.
All in all, it wasn't bad. Not as bad as it looks. It was sweet and cinnamony, and I do like raisins. I don't know if anyone actually even eats the stuff over here, and I don't know if I'd buy it again. However, it was an entertaining thing to do on a chilly evening.

What's next? Bangers and mash? If I am feeling ambitious, it might happen. I've been very busy between writing an article for the student newspaper back home, and writing my first short story for my creative writing class. Things are not slowing down, either. This week I have a trip to Al Jazeera, and (gulp) my interview for my internship. Oh, and my 21st birthday. The my dad is coming to visit. Not long after, I will be in Italy. I booked a hotel room in Siena all by myself for a good price, and felt very grown up. I feel good, if overwhelmed.

P.S. Happy Valentines Day. I wasn't thrilled to have my sweetie in another country, but then I was reminded how lucky I am to have him at all... So, that's that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! your dad is coming to visit....can't wait to hear about it...
and Italy..by your lonesome..
yes, grown up and brave.
bravo!

aunt deeda

Anonymous said...

And we (collectively) feel he is equally lucky! Ask your dear dad to come up with a list of "must see" for me. I will be channeling Dorothy Sayer for some ideas also.
Happy V Day....Happy B Day!

Chicago Ant - busily researching London history, restaurants, theatre, and "walking tours".......

Anonymous said...

Hah, the spotted dick! It looks disgusting, but after you revealed what was in it, it doesn't seem so bad. Happy Valentine's Day to you, too! I hope you had fun! Dan and I hung out together and he got me a stuffed puppy dog with a collar on it that says, "I woof you" haha. :) Also, I'm extremely jealous that you get to go to Italy! Ugh, you need to get me a postcard or something, girl! I loved talking to you the other day on Skype and hope we can schedule sometime to talk again soon. I need to hear all about your birthday celebrations. ;) And since it's 5 hours later over there, it's essentially your birthday right now. HAPPY 21ST! I wish I could be there to celebrate with you so bad, but you're probably having tons of fun anyway. Don't stress about le school, you'll do great! MISS YOU! Have a great week!

xoxo, Rachel

Jenni said...

Might I request the short story when it's finished??
Also, I've been writing more... nothing fit to be sent yet, mostly just couple paragraph blurbs.
Also, cinnamony raisin oddness sounds sorta good.

Bruce Johnson said...

Spotted Dick pudding is something that I can live the rest of my life not trying.....I don't think it will be a great loss.