Thursday, February 4, 2010

Journey?

Observation: many British boys are a lot like many American boys. They drink a lot, joke crudely with one another, and fail to understand the concept of subtle flirtation. I find it amusing until someone tries to feel me up, and then the once charming, hour long relationship ends. Then the boy in question moves on to some other girls with whom is more likely to "get lucky" with. I take satisfaction in the fact, as a writer, I can observe and record for my own amusement and everyone else never knows that they are fodder for my pen... (On a less lofty note, I took satisfaction in the fact that my boyfriend is much, much more attractive and charming than any of the silly boys I met last night.) I am also amused and bemused by the sudden heart-to-heart conversations that arise after a few drinks, and surprised at how the British girls I met got excited over Journey's "Don't Stop Believin" when we were dancing. So much American TV and music over here, but I finally got to dance like crazy with my girlfriends, and that was what I really wanted.

Anyway, no more drinking and dancing tonight. Just homework. Earlier this afternoon I spent about 10 minutes starting at the portrait of Jane Austen in the National Portrait Gallery. I was also very excited to see the portrait of Lord Byron in a turban, William Wordsworth looking pensive, and other Romantic types that I've spent semesters studying. Now I am staying in to relax and write, despite protest.

My boy is coming this weekend. Words cannot describe my excitement (well, they might but it would be unbearably sappy I am sure, so I'll spare you). S

So life continues in London, fun, confusing, occasionally awkward... at least I never get bored.

P.S. I have not forgotten about the Spotted Dick, by the way. Next post, I swear.

2 comments:

Quoz Stelliscript said...

Haven't you heard? Boys come from another planet. Even the British and Scottish ones that unknowing American girls (myself sometimes included) have idolized as somehow gifted with knowledge of females.

I'd say they're from Pluto, since that's the furthest away, but Pluto's apparently not a planet anymore.

And I like Journey. :D

Anonymous said...

HAH! Boys "fail to understand the concept of subtle flirtation". Oh man, Ivy I miss you! I'm glad London is being interesting for you. And have fun with David! I'm glad you two still get to see each other. Dan came up yesterday so that we could spend our 2 year anniversary together. :) I was so excited! Hope your time with David is just as fun.

xoxo