Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Body Electric

Oh, I can't focus. I have only a little more to be done, if I could just do it. But my brain rebells, my body won't settle down, my imagination wants to take full reign. I want to dream, and jump, and dance, and sleep, and wish, and laugh, and kiss, and joke, and weep for joy and thankfulness. I would like to take off, let go of the sandbags that keep my feet planted on the ground, the sensible ground. How can my veins hold this electric blood that pumps through me? How can I stay here when I feel like I could float away? Or perhaps go lower, lying on the warm earth, feeling the grass and the sun... My self-discipline holds out only so long. But obligations don't fly away, no they do not. Deadlines do not disappear. It's so hard, though, because they seem so trifling compared to the intoxication of spring. I do believe I am twitterpated, twitterpated with everything. So frustrating, then, to think about grades, and jobs, and money (or lack thereof), and deadlines, and a dozen other responsibilities. I am wondering if I can't jump all the way back to being a kid again, with nothing to to do all summer but swim and read and play. Summers were so long back then, so lazy. Now they fill up with work, and fly by in the wink of an eye... If only, but time only goes one direction, I'm afraid, and I get pulled along, willing or unwilling. I am just looking to try and find a sense of peace in the middle of all this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh..you dear twitterpate! Just sit down in your favorite spot, welcome and embrace the "twitters" - hug them and hold them...they will slowly and gracefully unwind in a beautiful pile around you...and then turn them over to the universe, breathe deep and get back to business....your "twitters" just want to held and recognized! The more you push them away - well they will twitter away until acknowledged! There you will find your peace - such a gift being twitterpated!!!!! Enjoy a bit.

Chicago Ant - who could use some 'twitterpating'

Bruce Johnson said...

It seems that life gets more and more like this as we grow older....to many things to ponder, so much to do.....as young'uns the word retirement seemed irrelivant...now it is all I think about.