Wednesday, July 23, 2008

No Place Like Home

Well, I'm home.

Home at last. I landed in Charlotte late Monday night, after hours of sitting at airport gates and waiting for the moment I would be on home soil again. It was a joy to see the warm orange glow of the city below me, I must say. Coming home, I felt like Dorothy just back from Oz; it was a magical trip but there's no place like home.

Admittedly, coming home has been a slightly rougher transition than I had anticipated. It doesn't quite feel real yet, and I don't know how to act. Almost as soon as my feet hit the ground, I was plagued by the dizzying list of things I need to do between now and August 13th (aka moving day). My room is a mess, my clothes are still in my suitcase, everything I've bought for my dorm is piled up in room and I don't know what to do with it. I have phone calls to make, doctors appointments to set, checks to deposit, thank you notes to write, and so much cleaning to do. I don't know where to start, and really I'd just like my brain to leave me alone for maybe a day or two so I can recuperate all the energy lost in travel. I am so very tired.

As it is, though, I'm already having anxiety dreams about school starting again.

However, I also have to sat what a sweet relief to see those loved ones I left behind whilst gallivanting across the Midwest. I am trying very hard not to think that I am leaving them again in a few short weeks. I am not going quite so far this time, though, and that's something. It is very, very good to have these people to come back to.

And I think I shall end right there. That is a good note to end on.

No comments: