Friday, January 9, 2009

Shifting

I should be packing. It is once again time to gather all my things and move... I am getting used to it, I think, this regular shifting of location and the stuff that shifts with me. Thanks to Christmas I will being going back to school with a few new books, clothes, and a new set of cookware. (I am VERY excited about not having to beg and borrow when I feel like doing a little cooking in the dorm kitchen, I must say.) My life seems to be contained in the amount of stuff that fills up my half of the room...

These transitions are always unsettling to me. Switching lives, switching roles. When I think about it, my life seems to be contained more in my relationships than my things... daughter, sister, friend, sweetheart, student, teacher. It can take a little time to shift between those, I find. I am both anxious and excited for this semester. I bought myself a new journal today, with a fine embossed leather cover. Quite unusual for me, because I have always felt intimidated by fine journals. This one feels right, though. I am anxious to start in on it. It is good to start a new year and a new semester with a new journal, don't you think?

Oh. I should be packing. It is hard, because it is reminding me of the friends I've just said goodbye to for another semester, and another friend who won't be coming back to Guilford... it is hard. However, I have much to look forward to as well.

At any rate, come Sunday I will be back at school no matter how I feel about it. So, that is that.

No comments: