Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cooperation in Violence?


"The rush and pressure of modern life are a form, perhaps the most common form, of its innate violence. To allow oneself to be carried away by a multitude of conflicting concerns, to surrender to too many demands, to commit oneself to too many projects to want to help everyone in everything, is to succumb to violence. More than that, it is cooperation in violence."
-Thomas Merton

I stumbled upon this quote at work the other day and I was quite struck when I read it. It's been resurfacing in my mind today. I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights, thanks to an unsettled mind. I keep going though, because I don't want to miss anything.

Today I just kept thinking about that quote, though. I realized this morning that if I was at home and in this state, I would give myself a quiet day. Lately I've fallen into the trap that if I don't take every single opportunity to go out, to see something, do something, meet someone, then I'll regret it. Maybe that's partially true. On the other hand, I'm burned out. I'm so tired from dealing with the newness and uncertainty of my internship, from another class that has been added to my schedule, from missing people... I think maybe I need to stop distracting myself and taking some more quiet time. It's a precious thing around here, in a city in a flat with twenty other people.

Anyway. Today I walked in the park and made cookies. Now, I am going to watch TV or read. I will do homework tomorrow.

In other news, my internship is going well. The culture shock is a bit more intense - the British approach their work very differently that Americans, from what I can tell. I'll write more about that later. Also, I am going to tour the Globe Theater on Tuesday. At long last, my dream comes true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that Thomas Merton....sometimes I wonder would I listen so well to him if it weren't for a visit to Gethsemani at 12 and picking up Seven-Story Mountain. I am sure I did not understand much at the time. We can thank Monkle Tom for the connection. Your day sounds delightful. Keep Calm And Carry On!

soon to be tourist of London....chicago ant

Meredith said...

first of all, so jealous about the Globe theater...channel me when you are there, haha

second, I know the feeling of not wanting to waste any time while abroad, but you do need to give yourself a quiet day. That is what I did this weekend and it definitely was the right choice, I now feel ready to take on the city even more...

I miss you dear!