Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thanks a lot Eyjafjallajokull

The British are really onto something with this whole tea and biscuits thing. I am having both right now, as I write this, and it is easing the tight, anxious pain in my chest. What do you do when you've just botched what is possibly the dumbest test you've ever taken? Drink tea. What do you do when you're suddenly not sure if you'll be able to visit your boyfriend (who you haven't seen in nearly three months, and might not see again until June if the flight gets canceled)? Have a biscuit.

I am trying to stay calm. I know that, one way or another, everything will be okay. I know that I have no control over any of this now, and that I just have to wait and see. It's like I'm on a roller-coaster: I get nervous and worried, and then I talk myself down. Then something comes up, and I get nervous again, and I have to talk myself down all over again. It's exhausting. Add in the sudden emotion that everyone is feeling about having to say goodbye, and things get even worse. It's funny, because in this little London flat packed with 21 students we've all been irritating each other quite a bit. On the other hand, now that it's time to leave soon all the good times are coming back to us. You just can't go through this together and not bond in some way. Now, it's going to be hard to say goodbye and go our separate ways.

If we get to go our separate ways as planned, that is. If things get any worse, I'm falling back on the other British way of coping: the pub.

No comments: