Friday, April 30, 2010

Transitions

There and back again. After a day of travel, I am back on British soil. Germany was blissful - everything was perfect. I realized all over again, with more force than ever, that I have a partner and a sweetheart who is also my best friend. I think that's what I miss the most when he's not around; I miss having my best friend with me. It was both harder and easier to say goodbye this time around. Now I am by myself again, and I have to settle back into this feeling.

It is good to be back in London, though. I feel an overwhelming sense of affection for England when I fly back from another European country. I just love it here, and (if I may hazard the opinion) I think I feel a kind of affinity for the British. I do appreciate them. I am here staying with family and my grandmother has flown out here to join me for the week. I am sure we are going to have a grand old time. We will spend time in London, and in Paris, and then it's back to the US for the first time in about four months. I'm not quite ready to process that yet. I am excited and apprehensive at the same time. The time has flown by, and yet I am starting to realize that this experience has changed me, probably in ways that I won't realize until I get home. I will say this: I can't wait to be reunited with my wardrobe. I am so tired of living out of a suitcase.

Well, I am off to bed. I am going to get cozy with a copy of Joyce's "Dubliners" and then hopefully fall asleep and not think about any of this for a few sweet hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your pictures from Germany looked amazing! I hope to see you very soon!