Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cutting Through

This blog is starting to reach the dilemma of every journal I've ever attempted to keep. I wait so long to post that the intervening events and changes seem too overwhelming to tackle, and yet it seems terrible to just let them fall by the wayside undocumented. Often, I find that I don't write because it is too real and overwhelming to reflect closely on things. Often, I find myself feeling guilty for spending time here when I feel I ought to be spending my time on other things like little chores and errands, family time, researching grad schools, finally finishing up my summer reading assignments (some self imposed, others not). And yet, I always feel drawn back here. I need it in some strange way, and I have decided that I need to try and cut through the distractions pulling and diverting my urge to write. It's an unending battle, but I think maybe if I allow myself to write what I can when I can (without high-minded expectations) I might do a little better.

I'd like to do a little better at a lot of things. The list for now (besides more blogging):

Staying calm and trusting when thinking about life post-graduation

Starting to exercise at least a few times a week (regularly!) to manage stress levels etc.

Eating healthy and enjoying the process of shopping/cooking now that I will be totally off the meal plan

Resisting perfectionism hang-ups (particularly during my English capstone and being an editor for the newspaper this coming school year)

I think that's a long enough list for now. I could add more (like: actually finish one of those unfinished knitting projects languishing under your bed) but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, or get distracted from the essential things to focus on.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Haha, you are preaching to the choir.. well, a small choir of about 10 people, but still. :) Maybe writing should just BE what comes to mind. Just get it all out on paper. Writing always helps me to document my life and find a little order in the chaos. I think it will help you, too. Especially since you are an excellent writer! Good luck!