Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dweeb

Ahhh, weekend. The first Friday night of my senior year was quite a success, full of good company and good drinks. I can't help thinking, though, about how different my life will be a year from now. I'll miss some things about being an undergrad. Other things, not so much.

I have drafts. I am officially an editor. I feel a little overwhelmed, because there are infinite possibilities for giving feedback. But I don't want to overwhelm my writers when they see a draft covered in red. I am trying to focus on "higher order concerns" (as my professor recommended) and on being encouraging. Most of these writers do not really know what they are doing. On the other hand, I love editing. It feels so natural, so enjoyable... Perhaps I've had the personality for this job all along. I know I sound like a dweeb, but that's ok.

I've made it through the first week admirably. No meltdowns, no freakouts. And tonight is date night.

1 comment:

bam said...

hey darlin, haven't been here in far too long. i LOVE your new look. oh do we need to catch up. i read the missive above and a few that preceded. and i see all these references to stories i don't know the half of. let alone a drop of. you are editor??? do tell. most of all, wait, could you really be a SENIOR in college???? my firstborn is applying soon.....where will it be.....

must run. sending love, can't wait to hear the rest of each story....
b