Sunday, March 9, 2008

Fickle Spring

Yesterday a (relatively) merry group of friends decided to spend some time in the great outdoors. They thought, why not hike this charming trail? It may be slightly overcast and very windy, but let us be intrepid and carry on through the park, they said. They were rewarded with an appearance by the sun, and all was well for a time. They walked, and walked until no one was quite sure where they were. So, they kept walking. It was just then that the wind began to gust more strongly, and the clouds took back the sky. It got very cold. Then it began to rain. Soon after, it began to hail. The trail suddenly seemed much longer. But did our intrepid walkers quit? No, because they had no choice. They slogged on through mud, and rain, and hail. When at last they return to the parking lot then, and only then, did the sun decide to come back out. Wet and tired, the group retired to a restaurant and watched as the sun shone brighter and brighter outside.

Spring may have arrived, but it is very fickle. Spring also has an odd sense of humor, and I am in love with every moment of it. Even the hail and the mud.

Having survived this past week, I am now faced with all the glory of spring break.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, first, the photos....gorgeous!!!! and then your spirit. i love your spirt and your storytelling. you are making me feel like maybe spring is just outside my window. when really--really--it's not. i am cooped inside with a little boy with strep throat. everything in my life was thus cancelled today, and that darn time change has me a bit topsy turvy. the light tells me it's time for my classically late lunch, but the clock tells me it's time to cook dinner. huh? as i type i am staring at that gorgeous spring beauty. i think i can smell spring, just reading your words. can't wait till you have another story to tell......and so glad i finally got you bookmarked. i thought you were bookmarked but i lost it, and now that i have you right back in my handy-dandy list of favorites, i can come visit any time. okay, going to start that dinner........because i'm sure my boys' tummies will soon tell me what the clock does....

Anonymous said...

That was a very memorable hike. I hope there will be more to follow...without the hail of course.

Rip Nasty

Anonymous said...

I like "intrepid"! Whilst you were tromping about in spring, grandma and Aunt Deeda and Chicago Ant were snuggled up in a little house in "village by the bay" in a foot of snow! We had a little pajama party, us girls, and we were wishing that some "grand" daughters were with us. Aunt Deeda could have gotten a couple of good Mr.Doodle Bug stories going if the right company was about. Please give Miss Spring our best wishes and tell her we are anxiously awaiting her arrival! She can leave her fickle ways with y'all though.
Love - your Chicago Ant

Ivy said...

Ah, I wish I'd been there as well. I miss my aunties...

I promise to try and wish some spring up North for all of you. I feel quite spoiled, actually. Spring is fickle, but my is She glorious. There is definitely something in the air down here. =)