Sunday, March 16, 2008

Life From Sunday Afternoon. Again.

Life marches forward -- I can't believe it's Palm Sunday already.

Spring break is also coming to a close. I am trying to make peace with that. Right now am I at resignation, I think. It was a good week, if totally hectic thanks to a visit from the G'ma and a trip to Asheville. It was fun mini-trip, and it was very enlightening to tour UNC Asheville. I liked it, and it was very cool, and academically probably the equal of Guilford... However, I still prefer Guilford. Now, I hate to generalize and stereotype, but Asheville is a very counter-culture kind of place. Hippies, environmentalists, activists, you name it they're there. That's cool, I respect that. But I felt so out of place, both in Asheville and at the college. I just don't think I'll ever that cool, funky, stick-it-to-the-man kind of person. Which is perhaps why I felt so at home at Guilford, the neat and tidy Quaker school...

We shall see how all of this ends up. But I had, after getting home from church this morning, the usual sense of anxiety that I get when I'm just home from being out of town. The to do list, ignored for a few days, is back. I'm trying to stay calm and just work on one thing at a time. I have found, though, that my main way of dealing with stress in many cases is sleep. Feeling overwhelmed? Take a nap. It makes me feel a better even if it doesn't get anything done.

Now I think I will try to get something done, although it's tempting to sit and peruse the new additions to my bookshelf, acquired at my favorite used book store in Asheville: my own copy of My Antonia, by Willa Cather and The Fine Art of Literary Mayhem; A Lively Account of Famous Writers and Their Feuds, by Myrick Land.

I feel there is something unfinished in my train of thought, but I really must go. More later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is wisdom to just listen to your heart in matters of where you feel comfortable...and you are good at that I think.

Totally random thought...I love the name "Myrick Land". I am wondering how that name shaped a life. It also leads me to believe that by spending time reflecting on this, I am trying to avoid my list of chores....

Happy week! Chicago Ant

Bruce Johnson said...

I have started My Antonia several times but never finished it. I have always been very impressed with Willa Cather's ability to paint a mental image.

Sarah said...

where exactly is guilford? I'm trying to remember if I've been there...once, I went to a college (about an hour away) where my neighbor read her poetry, and if that was guilford, then it was lovely: small, secluded and a beautiful campus.