Monday, March 3, 2008

A Fresh Arrival

It happens this way every single year: one morning I wake up and it's spring. That is how it comes in North Carolina, practically overnight. Suddenly the chill has lost it's bite, the daffodils have bloomed, the tree tops are fuzzy with new buds, and pollen coats the windshield of my car. But what really tells me is the sound of the frogs, suddenly awakened down in the creek bed, singing their strange song. It's the most beautiful sound, and it stopped me in my tracks when I first heard it a few days ago. The world is silent no more, life is resurfacing.

I like spring. It's such a promising season. I cannot worry too much during spring, for simply stepping outside is a cure for the blues.

I think I have finally run into someone who takes me the way I am, and that/he is beautiful too.

And because it is spring, I am not going to worry. I am going to fall in love with living all over again.

Like a flower
Waiting to bloom.
Like a lightbulb
In a dark room.
I'm just sittin here waiting for you
To come on home and turn me on.

-
John D. Loudermilk

4 comments:

Sarah said...

hmm. we need to talk, I think...

Bruce Johnson said...

Spring = Wind / Rain / Weeds = allergies......aaaa...aaaaa...choo!!!!

Anonymous said...

this is gorgeous.....didn't know you were down here inhaling spring, while i was up north tromping through the woods, in search thereof......this is gorgeous. i am so jealous of the frog chorus, the croaking through the evening hour, and at the dawn. and the pollen on the windshield. and the poem. and falling in love with love. i've never laid eyes on you but i can tell you: you ARE beautiful. in the deepest richest way........
signed, a snowy one from parts up north...

Anonymous said...

bam (close your eyes ivy)
if you saw Ivy like I see Ivy...oh what a girl!
isnt' that a song from the nineteen twenties...?
Ivy is one of the prettiest, sweetest girls I've ever known...
She is tall, slender, with milky white skin. Her eyes are set apart perfectly and they take in everything around her. I don't know if I like her lips serious or smiling...both....
she has dark hair and reminds you the way she carries herself of Holly Golightly (breakfast at Tiffanys)...with out the hats of course...
sigh...
she has had breath-taking beauty since she was a child...and you can't sort out if it in her looks or her soul...because they are so intertwined...
you will meet her one day bam....when she comes to chicago to see you!

Aunt Deeda