Sunday, November 1, 2009

Choices

Dear Lord, it is November already.

I have resigned myself to the fact that blogging is going to happen quickly and at odd times if it is to happen at all. This week has been trying: the highs were high, but the lows were terribly low. I hate crying my eyes out in the car, but I did that this week. I also hate having to get up the next morning and present myself with red and puffy eyes.

I love the opportunities I have been given, though. I saw Yo-Yo Ma speak and perform last Monday. I cannot even describe to you how inspiring that was. Maybe I will try in the next few days, but I don't have time now.

Getting to London will be the death of me, but I am sure I will be resurrected once I do get there.

In the meantime, I am learning to make choices. I am starting to think that maybe giving 100% to every single assignment is not wise, or even possible. I am starting to think that learning to let go of some things should be top priority for me. I am starting to realize that tying my sense of self worth to my GPA is inaccurate and (well) bad. I like the classes in which I am not concerned about getting a good grade, but doing my best simply for the sake of the work. Those classes are few, but I treasure them.

I realize that I may have already realized these things and then forgotten them. I think I'm realizing them even harder this time around, though.

I went to my first college house party last night and stayed for a total of 20 minutes.

I am not a sports writer.

I am dead tired. Part of me can't wait for the end of the semester, and part of me is terrified at how fast that will happen.

Goodnight. That is all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ivy - I am so sorry your week has been so hectic! I hope that my visit to you soon will brighten the next few days. I'm in the same pickle you are. Classes are crazy and I never seem to get out from underneath the load I'm buried in. Just keep doing the best you can and take one step at a time!

<3 Rach

Bruce Johnson said...

"I am starting to think that maybe giving 100% to every single assignment is not wise, or even possible. I am starting to think that learning to let go of some things should be top priority for me. I am starting to realize that tying my sense of self worth to my GPA is inaccurate and (well) bad."...this statement probalby shows the most intelligence I have seen. College isn't about learning, it is about learning how to learn and surviving it.

Looking back, the best thing I learned in college (in the sense of a business degree) was how to go to parties, get drunk and NOT make a total fool of myself.

Jenni said...

The GPA self worth thing?
In all likelihood, I will get a C in my CalculusII class.
I'm not sure whether I'm trying to cheer your up or commiserate, but either works.