Saturday, September 29, 2007

Dreams v. Reality

I think I'll go home and mull this over
Before I cram it down my throat

At long last it's crashed, the colossal mass

Has broken up into bits in my moat.


So, I finally started listening to The Shins. And... Now I can't stop. The melodies and lyrics simply make me marvel.

Lift the mattress off the floor
Walk the cramps off

Go meander in the cold

Hail to your dark skin

Hiding the fact you're dead again

Underneath the power lines seeking shade

Far above our heads are the icy heights that contain all reason


How does music feel so real? I love when you come across an album that seems to speak right through to what you're feeling at the moment. Music that expresses things you didn't think could be expressed, and melts into the edges of your day, easing the sharp corners.

It's a luscious mix of words and tricks
That let us bet when you know we should fold

On rocks I dreamt of where we'd stepped

And the whole mess of roads we're now on.


I feel like I'm walking through a dream, forcing myself to get things done. But I can't stop slipping into daydreams. They keep me going.

Hold your glass up, hold it in
Never betray the way you've always known it is.
One day I'll be wondering how
I got so old just wondering how

I never got cold wearing nothing in the snow.

Caring Is Creepy -- The Shins

1 comment:

Sarah said...

one of my sister's boyfriends was obsessed with the shins and so I've been listening to them for three or four years annnnndd--they are AMAZING!! I'm so glad you're a fan now. Is "Turn a Square" on that CD? It's one of my favorite songs in the world. love!