Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Adventure Begins

I've been wanting to post, dear readers, for a long time. I've been in London for two days now, and it feels much, much longer. I am overwhelmed. My laptop is also stubbornly refusing to connect to the wireless (I am borrowing from my kind roommate Abbey). The clueless IT guy did nothing, and I don't know what's wrong. I hope that I will get it fixed soon, and then my fingers will be able to type until they wear out.

Anyway. Kensington is beautiful, the city is amazing. The living situation is basically like being in a hostel; 20 people and one kitchen. That will be a challenge. It is worth it though. I am living right down the street from the house where Virginia Woolf used to live. Today I took a bus tour and saw... so many places I want to go. I don't know where to start. I can't even comprehend the notion of taking classes yet. I want to go to Brighton, and Bath, and Oxford too. I keep thinking of all the British novel's I've read. I've fallen in love with pubs, they are the perfect place to relax.

I can't even compose anything about how I feel. I am excited, and nervous. I have yet to hear from my sweetheart who is getting settled in Germany. I am trying not to be shy about embarrass myself with the Brits (so many coins... I hate change!) I don't know, I just don't know how I feel or what to think. I am adjusting well so far, but we'll see how things go. So I think I could categorize this as the honeymoon phase. My strongest feeling is one of gratitude, really. I am so grateful and happy to be here. So few have this opportunity. I am convinced it is the perfect place for me right now.

I suppose that is all for now. I will write something a little more organized when I have my own computer working again. Cheers.

3 comments:

KCBW said...

Gah I'm so excited for you! I'm glad it's going well so far. If you get the chance to go to Bath DEFINITELY do it! It was so cool. Though I would wait till the snow goes away haha
Miss you, Love you!
kc

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you, too! It sounds wonderful. I wish I could be there with you! I'm going back up to Appalachian on Sunday... supposedly the windchill there was -11 degrees yesterday (AH!). But I am super excited to get back. Hope your classes go well and that you find a way for your computer to work a little more efficiently!

Much Love,
Rachel

Jenni said...

I second Kacey's suggestion: GO TO BATH! It's one of the few places that have stayed in my memory from when I went to Europe when I was 11. And of course, Stonehenge. And Avebury. It's another of the monolith sites, but it's less traveled than Stonehenge. And in my opinion, cooler, mostly cause you can touch the stones. When I went you couldn't get within 30 feet of Stonehenge.
But most of all, have a BLAST!