Thursday, January 14, 2010

Disoriented


Everything in London feels both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. In some ways, London is like any other city. It is not such an absolute change as it could be. Everyone speaks English, there are cars, and shops, and movie theaters. In some ways, I don't feel as if I've come very far at all.

Then there are all the little differences that crop up when I least expect it. Small acts, such as crossing the street, are different. I'm still anxious about getting run over because I looked the wrong way before crossing. Making change is a nightmare. Everywhere I go I am not quite sure how to act, what the etiquette is. I have to keep reminding myself that the pounds are not equivalent to dollars. Even watching the weather and seeing a map of the UK is strange. I look at it and think, "Oh my God, that where I am."

I had to go to the doctor today (long story involving a 24hr stomach bug that has now morphed into an infected tonsil), and it made me realize that I didn't know where to go or what to do like I do at home. Then I had to find a pharmacy to get my anti-biotics. Did my overseas insurance policy cover the medicine? How much would it be? Little things jump out at me all the time and I realize that I don't know automatically what to do. It's strange because I don't expect it, even though I should.

I have survived without too much trouble. I met with a very kind doctor who reminded me that the sudden change in environment could be quite hard on me, and that I should take care of myself and keep my spirits up.

So, that is what I intend to do. I may have missed out on the theater tonight, but I have much to look forward to when I get well. Mostly I am grateful to have the room (which I share with two others) to myself for a few hours.

There is only one thing I miss right now. I have noticed that any word or offer of kindness by my flatmates has made me want to hug them. I realized that I haven't had many hugs since I got here. I am hugged constantly at home by my friends and my boyfriend (we are an affectionate lot; Americans seem to hug more anyway), but here there is no one I know so well yet. Really, I'd just like to cuddle with one of them now.

I suppose I'll just have to be a big girl and give myself over to the healing powers of tea, biscuits, and Jane Austen.

3 comments:

Abbey said...

Dearest Ivy:
You know I will cuddle with you anytime :)
ps. Expect a hug all the time.

Love,
Abbey

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the cultural changes will become easier as you spend more time there. Remember, you've only been in London for a little while! :) And I agree with Abbey - hugs await you back in the US!

P.S. - I sent you a letter. :) Hopefully you'll get it soon! xoxo

Bruce Johnson said...

Enjoy your stay and hope you feel better.