Tuesday, January 26, 2010

History


History simply layers up in this country. People use and reuse the same places over the span of thousands of years. Case in point, Stonehenge. I was privileged enough to take a day trip out to the famous monument. Our lovely tour guide (who happened to look very much like Helen Mirren) gave us a lot of information about how little we actually know about Stonehenge because it really is terribly, terribly old. I wandered about in the chilly air of Salisbury plain looking at that pile stones and feeling the kind of awe one must feel around terribly old things. I realized that I just couldn't comprehend how old it was or the people who so mysteriously built it. I felt very touristy, but ultimately I think I would have regretted not seeing Stonehenge.

After the Henge, we sped over to the city of Bath. History really is literally in layers there - Roman baths underneath, Georgian city above built all in the same local stone, all transformed into a modern, working city. I of course was absolutly giddy to be in the city where Jane Austen set so many novels. I recognized street names from the books (doesn't get much nerdier than that, does it?). Anyway, it was quite remarkable, and quite magical. The city is beautiful and fascinating; I could wander around there all afternoon. I want to go back just to sit in the tearoom in the Jane Austen center one more time, under the slightly tacky portait of Mr. Darcy.

Now I am back in London. Things have been a little difficult at the flat lately, what with all the problems with the hot water. People are going out tonight and part of me wants to stay in and read and sip some tea (or wine)... I never know if I should indulge my reclusive tendencies or not. We shall see. I do plan on getting out and about this week. There is so much to do and see in London that I just get overwhelmed and forget what I even wanted to do in the first place.
Not that I am complaining.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can go wrong either way...
so throw a coin up in the air and see how you feel
and change your mind..five different times....
aunt deeda