Thursday, January 21, 2010

Beans on Toast


Today was a busy day. I was privileged enough to take a tour of Red Bee Media with my class. It was pretty fabulous seeing a working broadcast center. People always ask me what job I want when I graduate. I never know what to tell them because no one has ever given me any practical, hands-on information about any sort of career (college doesn't actually prepare you for "real life" it turns out). Today was a thrilling foray into the world of professional broadcasting.

After lunch, I headed out to the Victoria and Albert Musuem (pictured above). I spent two hours in only a few galleries. It was wonderful, but by the end my feet and my back were feeling very cranky. i retreated back to the flat and had a quiet dinner.

Now, on the subject of food. Today I finally fixed myself up a staple of the English breakfast: beans on toast.


The beans are like canned baked beans, only they are white beans in a tomato sauce. I made toast, added hot beans, and some salt and pepper. It was very tasty, like a ligher version of American baked beans. I wouldn't have thought to have beans for breakfast, so I might make it a regular afternoon lunch/snack. Beans are cheap, and the give some variety.

It was my second foray into uniquely English food after sticky toffee pudding. I have decided to try out as many "traditional" English foods that I can (at least, out of what can be found at Sainsburys since I am on a budget). This was mostly inspired by my spotting a can at the store labelled "Spotted Dick Pudding." I am intruiged. I want to try more foods with funny names. I will try and document my foodie adventures here for you all as they come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! Oh wow, the names of English foods... it sounds very fun. The tour of Red Bee Media also sounded pretty awesome! Hopefully you will learn a lot about professional broadcasting in London. :) Best of luck!

Bruce Johnson said...

"I am intruiged. I want to try more foods with funny names. I will try and document my foodie adventures here for you all as they come."....I really want to know if you can find a food with a 'funnier' name than "Spotted Dick Pudding."

Anonymous said...

We have Spotted Dick at the World Market grocery here...
raisins and bread in a can..
who'd a thunk..
and then I read..
that..
in places in England they've had to rename it Spotted Richarad to avoid the giggles when ordering...
aunt deeda